Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Interview of Gene V Glass by David D. Williams

Date: Feb 24, 2012

 

David D. Williams- I appreciate you doing this. Do you want to just start telling me stories?

 

GG- It does start me thinking back. I was gathering that you have a notion of a person who faced some decision points in their life and kind of explored options and put information together and came up with a decision and moved on for good or for ill. But I couldn’t find a single instance of that in my life, probably up until six or seven years ago.

 

All the major stuff was strictly emotional, emotional searching for something. Usually related to my father and my relationship with my father. I was often making decisions with people in which I felt like I was in relationships with people like my father, dominant male characters. Other big decisions, such as when to get married had to do with trying to live up to a model of my brother’s life. My brother is 8 years older. He was a very accomplished athlete, quite successful as a YMCA executive. A lot of what I decided I liked was trying to live like he did. So, kind of a model as an information collector/decision maker. I can’t see that that happened in my life at all.

 

The closest I came to that was 6-7 years ago when I got diagnosed with prostate cancer. There was a PSA test and a biopsy and I was told it was cancer of a type that could become aggressive. I had at my disposal all this information on the Internet and blogs, potentially about what to do. There were three major options- radical surgery, radio active seeds fired into your prostate, or watchful waiting. If you wait it out, you’ll die of a heart attack or something. I actually studied all these options based on survival rate, longevity and got the best research articles. It essentially came down to an even choice—all research showed that these three methods were all equal in terms of their cure rates, longevity, and so forth! I remember going into the urology surgeon with the decision and said, “I pick the radioactive seeds” because it seemed less gruesome and it involved an outpatient procedure and it didn’t involve a catheter. The thought of a catheter was horrible to me. I couldn’t even imagine it. He said, “Sure.” But he said, “I do a thing with a robot. It’s called a D’Vinci robot.” It’s a million dollar machine and he sits in a cockpit 10 feet from the operating table, manipulating these 5 robotic arms. He said he can do the operation in an hour with the robot, three days on the catheter. Said he had done 350.

 

I chose it right then because of the prospect of watchful waiting or firing seeds in there that might take months and leave malignant cells alive in your prostate. It may not kill all of them. In the long run, I wanted the darn thing out, even though the research didn’t support my choice. It just said flip a coin because they’re all equal. I wanted the darn thing out once I heard how slick it could be taking it out. 3 or 4 guys I know made the exact same decision, apprised of the same facts. They wanted it out of their bodies if they could get it out. They, in the end said, “We want the operation. Just get it out.” We did not want to wake up every morning wondering whether the cells had escaped the prostate and metastasized or not.

 

Three years ago at the faculty meeting where the President said “We’re disestablishing your college” it was pretty clear that some of the good things that my colleagues and I had worked for for 20 years were going away. I started feeling a funny pressure in my chest and I went home and the pressure appeared in my back. I had never felt anything like that before and I complained about it and Sandy finally said “I’m taking you to the hospital.” I went to the hospital-- the EKG—we looked at it and said you’ve got blockage. “You’re having a mild heart attack.” Advised to put in stents right then, I was scared to death. The research I’ve done on that after the fact shows that stents, drugs, and bypass surgery are all equal rates of cure and longevity. But within a couple of hours I was lying awake, watching this guy stick three stents in my heart. I didn’t collect any information. I didn’t decide anything. Maybe some hyper-rational person would have said, “Well, let’s slow down. Let me go back and I’m going to study this whole thing and we will decide what I want.” I didn’t want to run that risk. The next morning after that operation while one of these cardiologists was talking to me, my heart stopped. I fainted. I didn’t know it.  When I came to, the room was full of technicians and nurses and doctors and the cardiologist whacked me on the chest, starting my heart again. They put a pace-maker in to not let my heart go below or above about 60 bpm. No decision making involved in any of that. I was an undeciding blob entirely in the doctors’ hands.

 

DDW- So you didn’t have something that said, “If my heart stops leave me alone, or anything like that?”

 

GG- No, a living will—that’s more like if you’re a vegetable.

           

I look back at going to college or not going to college  in my day, for people in my social class, going to college was not automatic. My brother had gone, but nobody else in my family. And I didn’t decide to go to college, just knew I didn’t want to do physical labor. I didn’t pick a major for any rational reason. I picked German because my father-in-law, my first wife’s father, had it as his native language and was one of the first older men I could be close to, unlike my father. I thought that was a way of getting closer to him, and it was. Working for Bob Stake led me into the education business. That was a total accident because I knew a girl from a very early age who was typing in his department and said these people are looking for a computer programmer. I was scrubbing floors in restrooms and doctors’ offices to make money, so I ran over and applied for a computer programming job.

 

DDW- So instead of washing floors you learned how to do programming?

 

GG- I wasn’t a programmer but figured I could learn real fast. I took a workshop and in a week I was doing it. A lot of decisions in my life were escaping powerful dominant male environments that I assumed were looking down on me and didn’t like me. That had a lot to do with how I went through graduate school. And my first job with Bob at Urbana lasted only two years; I think I was running away from an environment where there was someone that seemed so powerful, so intellectual, and so superior that I imputed to him the same feelings that I imputed to my father. My father thought I was going to be a bum. My father told me very late in life that he was so pleased I hadn’t ended up in jail, which is what he expected would become of me. I ran away from Urbana to Colorado because there was an environment where I was free of that kind of pressure. Ken Hopkins was so warm and easy to be with. I think that, among other things, drew me there. That, and the fact that my brother lived in Denver at the time. No rationality anywhere there, David!

 

DDW- Don’t be defensive about that. I didn’t expect rationality per se.

 

GG- (Laughs) I’m not defensive. I paid a lot of money to figure these things out.

 

DDW- (Laughs) So was your brother more like Ken then, and less like your dad?

 

GG- Exactly.

 

 

 

DDW- It seems from the beginning of our visit that you have said, “I’m not rational. My life isn’t rational. I’ve just kind of emotionally fallen into things until I had prostate cancer.” So, you don’t think of those life kinds of decisions as being forms of evaluation?

 

GG- Uh, no I don’t, not really. Well, sure, they are unconscious evaluations at the level of controlling anxiety. That is what Freudian psychoanalysis is all about. And often the appearance of rationality or the claim of rationality is just a cover for stuff we don’t really understand.

 

DDW- Does it go the other way? Are the things we claim in educational evaluation any more rational than these decisions in daily life?

 

GG- Well, I think this could be relevant to your project or your goal here. I’m talking about life decisions that involved me primarily, sometimes other people were involved but they were very personal decisions like marriage, career, life and death health, the way we’re going to live, stuff like that. Decisions that involve a large group of people have more of the character about them that we call evaluation. I think where you have to bring a group of people along or they are trying to bring you along in a decision that has ramifications for an entire group that is different. I think there, people approach something that is a little less unconsciously driven, more public and therefore more rational.

 

DDW- Okay, can you convince me? I’m thinking the decisions your parents made certainly affected a lot of people and so did your decisions about your operations, being around and influencing people.

 

GG- Okay, that’s kind of remote. The decisions my parents made might have had effects on lots of people but they didn’t foresee those effects when they were making them.

 

DDW- And you think in the more public evaluation world we do?

 

GG- Yeah. Here, suppose you’re in your academic department and you’re dealing with half a dozen colleagues and you have shared sets of goals. You want to attract the best students you can. You want to get a healthy share of outside money, and so on. I think that then people are cognizant of what their goals are and they try to reach decisions. But my parents had no idea the things they were doing were going to affect me the way that they did. My mother thought I was fabulous and could achieve anything in the world and my father thought I was a punk. (Incidentally, I recommend that situation highly to anyone because it gives you the confidence you can do anything and the motivation to prove them wrong.)

 

DDW- (Laughing) But they could never have done that if they had planned to. Is that what you’re saying?

 

GG- They had no idea—I remember one of the rare times my father talked to me. We were standing in the drugstore. He worked all day composing for a newspaper as a printer and then came home at 5:00 and worked at the drugstore til it closed at 10:00. He saw all these candy and cigar salesmen coming in to sell their wholesale stuff for us to retail. They all wore white shirts and ties and went around at their own pace and he told me, “Son, you want to go into sales, that’s where the money is, in sales.”

 

When I published my first statistics book in 1970, a couple of months after it came out, I went to visit my folks back in Nebraska; and I took a copy of the book and gave it to them. They sort of thumbed through it a little bit and laid it aside and started talking about something else; and I realized that just the fact that I had a job and hadn’t screwed up in a major way, that made them happy. They were satisfied. They didn’t set out to produce some academic guy or whatever.

 

DDW- Interesting. How about you, did you pass along that same legacy or did you have expectations or set goals with your kids?

 

GG- No, no. I’m thrilled Julie is a wonderful mother to her children. That is such a great satisfaction. If you see one of your kids growing up to be a good parent, it really makes you feel like you did some things right.

 

DDW- So you’ve talked about the difference between the prostate cancer story and the previous part of your life. Did you see a gradual change there or was it abrupt?

 

GG- That was gradual. That was the result of my education. Ever since grad school, probably even slightly before, I’ve been very cynical or critical about people who make decisions without some modicum of scientific evidence. Come to think of it, I’m sure there are tons of things that I would have nothing to do with because it hasn’t been established by empirical evidence. Naturopathic healing, Tarot card reading – hundreds of things like that.

 

DDW- So you got that in graduate school or a little before that?

 

GG- Yeah, before probably. I remember I was so eager to get out of college early so I took 3 or 4 correspondence courses and one was in philosophy and I remember studying John Stuart Mill. I think it is more a matter of intelligence than it is a matter of education frankly. But I think the education I got certainly strengthened and reinforced that in me.

 

DDW- What do you mean it was more a matter of intelligence?

 

GG- Well, you don’t have to have gone through courses in statistics or experimental design to know that the local naturopath doesn’t know squat about what they’re doing.

  

DDW- Do you feel like you phased into that through maturation then? Why didn’t you have that in high school or grade school?

 

GG- I think I did have some of this in high school too. I think just by choice of graduate school where that line of reasoning was so heavily emphasized made me far more skeptical, perhaps, than I would have been otherwise.

 

DDW- It sounds like you’re thinking skepticism is a healthy and important part of people’s thinking, choosing, that sort of thing?

 

GG- Yeah, I think so. You ought to interview Ernie House. He’s over in Australia now. He goes to Australia every winter. I don’t know how well you know Ernie. He is certainly an important figure in the evaluation profession. When he retired from CU, he started spending all his time on his investments. I don’t make a move without checking with him first. He has parlayed our typical insignificant salaries into several million dollars. He trades currencies and stocks and spends a few hours every day on his investments! Talk about somebody who is rational. He’s hyper rational. He had a heart attack with like 95% blockages. My blockages weren’t that bad, fortunately. He had 95% blockage and they rushed him in and did a quadruple bypass on him. He came away from that making lots of comparisons with evaluation and the medical field. He was so impressed. He was really taken with their abilities.

 

DDW- This was about the same time he was critiquing the drug companies?

 

GG- This was before by several years.

 

DDW- I actually did contact him. Bob gave me his name as well and he tells me he’s writing a book in which he’s reflecting on his childhood memories.

 

GG- Yeah, He has been working on a family book since he was at Colorado. Yeah, it’s his family book. I recruited him to CU in 1985 and I left in 1986. We have always been close. He shared early drafts of chapters with me. His father was a taxi driver in Alton Illinois, across the river from St Louis. His father was in a car accident with the taxi and was killed when Ernie was about 10 or 11 years old. He’s writing these recollections of his childhood and is sharing them with me. Over and over in these things, somebody gets hit and knocked out and comes to. An uncle got knocked out and somebody’s boxing and they were knocked out. I said all these people dying and coming back to life in your recollections, like wishing his father back. For a moment he was really touched and then he pulled himself together. He is a very cold and compartmentalized person. He has a two-year-old granddaughter now, first one, and I’ve seen him warm up for the first time with her.

 

DDW- He has agreed to visit with me. I’m looking forward to what he has to say.

 

GG- Well, he’s very introspective. And should be a good one.

 

DDW- Have you had about enough for today?

 

GG- That’s fine. Do you want to come back at it later?

 

DDW- Okay, I’ll send you a copy of what I’ve written down, if you want to look at it and see if it sparks any thoughts. What I had in mind was to hear any contrasting views you have about all these issues. If I see some patterns to it, I’ll propose that and you can tell me “There’s no pattern there,” and that’s fine. Do you have suggestions on how I should proceed.

 

GG- No, let me look over what you’ve got first. Clearly I won’t hold it back if I think I need to say something.

 

DDW- Yeah, you’re not a shy one ever!

 

GG- No.

 

DDW- I guess we can thank both your parents for that?

 

GG- My mother. She always thought I was right and could do anything.

 

DDW- You had her initials so why not, right?

 

GG- Right.

 

Some written comments sent between interviews:

From GG—

1. The role of evaluation in personal decisions.

We rationalist academics really don't like to confront certain things about real life, one of which is that a fair sized chunk of our actions and decisions – let's call them that – are determined by unconscious motives. Each of us knows that many of the people close to us are driven by unconscious motives but we are pretty sure that we aren't. Major life choices are more likely to be the result of unconscious motives than trivial day-to-day choices.  The over-arching motive that drives many decisions (choose a mate, choose a job, even choose a car) has to do with avoidance of anxiety. The anxiety arises from psychic conflicts: will I be abandoned, will I be loved, will I lose the love I have, etc.?  "Evaluation" of the type we academics like to talk about comes after the decisions are made at this unconscious level. It is fair to say that evaluation arises as post-hoc rationalization of personal decisions. "The unexamined life is not worth living, but neither is the over-examined one." 

 

2. The role of evaluation in public or group decisions.

A good deal of positions taken by individuals in arriving at a group decision are also determined in the same way that they make personal decisions. But unlike personal decisions, positions taken in group decision-making can be challenged by others in the group. Then the individuals usually must appeal to a formal system of evaluation or else their position will be rejected by the group as not legitimate. Those who tell the group that they want option A because "my gut tells me that it is the right thing to do" are likely to be ignored or ostracized (by us). Those who tell the group that they want option A because "it maximizes return on cost without significant unintended consequences" are likely to be seen as not just legitimate but authoritative. 

 

3. The intersection of personal and group decisions

Our business – human services, if I can call them that – is so subject to indeterminate benefits and costs that the overlap between how personal and group decisions are rationalized is very large. What are the benefits of option A in terms of outcomes a, b, c, d, and e, most of which cannot even be measured? How long do the benefits of option A last in terms of outcomes a & b, and do we even know whether outcomes c & d aren't superior in the very long run? And do we even truly understand what option A is? Under such circumstances, personal decisions can masquerade as group decisions. 

 

People you interview will attempt to influence you to move in certain directions. In essence, you will be prodded to make a personal decision about the direction in which to take your project. How will you make that decision? Do you really know why you will decide as you do? 

 

Interviewer: David Williams

Interviewee: Gene Glass

March 16, 2012

 

DDW: Well, have you had any more thoughts before I start pummeling you with questions or...?

 

GG: Ha ha. I was just thinking that I was just trying to summarize my own feelings and thoughts about it, and what I came up with was that in our business, maybe I wrote these things to you. In our business, the empirical side of all the evaluations is simplified by being open-ended. They never cover all the bases. There's always a loophole for anyone to escape through if that's what they wish to do. You know, usually you didn't measure this; you measured A, B, and C, but you didn't measure D; you measured A, B, C, and D but you didn't measure C and D long enough, you didn't follow up far enough. And so when the act of collecting empirical data to support decisions as we talk about it, when they're that open-ended, other things come into play to determine one's choices and positions.

 

And so in my own mind when explaining the way we act, in my own experience, it is helpful to distinguish evaluation as a method of discovery, and then evaluation as a method of justification. And we commonly present it to people as a method of discovery, discovering the better — the best alternative. But I think far and away most of the time it's used as a method of justification — of a choice and of a position that determines how others think. Political self-interest, economic self interest and not just political self-interest, or even less obvious, more hidden things of personal motives, many of which are, as we were talking about last time, geared toward avoidance of threat, anxiety, appearance, etc. Other than that, that's about all I came up with.

 

DDW: So, you did send me an email on that and it sounded like you were saying that you think you've seen that in other people too. It's not just you.

 

GG: Yeah, well, it’s hard to see, you know? Hard to see because we all pose and we all adopt this pose of objectivity, intersubjectivity, and that we are using this method to discover the answer. Because of all the other motives they use for justification of a decision that's already been made. The other motives aren't regarded as legitimate or as worthy. So, we're really, you know, just defending — saving face, saving money, playing politics, things like that.

 

DDW: So is that—do you have any feelings about if that's a terribly bad thing, or just the way it is?

 

GG: No, just the way it is.

 

DDW: So what about when we start teaching people about evaluation, should we be pointing this out and saying, so here are some tools to do it even better or what's your view?

 

GG: Yeah, yeah, that's a real dilemma 'cause we certainly don't teach it that way.

 

DDW: Right.

 

GG: Not at all.

 

DDW: Why not? Because it's not defensible, right?

 

GG: Doesn't seem as legitimate. Doesn't seem as authoritative. But we present it as a quasi-science, you know. Should be above all of these personal motives and whatnot.

 

DDW: So you feel like it's that way in personal decisions for sure, right?

 

GG: Yeah, it's really, especially in public or group evaluations it is that way a lot.

 

DDW: And do you think people are aware of it, or is this kind of below their awareness?

 

GG: No, most people aren't at all. The person on the street, not at all. And people in the field are not as much aware as perhaps they ought to be. But I'm sure some people who would look at it would see it that way fairly clearly. It—you know, I’m interested in the global warming thing, and how that's a lot less open-ended than the stuff we deal with. I mean, scientists ought to be able to pin that down pretty well...and then you seem to have, like if you know, you've studied their methods, and then they look pretty good and if you take a poll, they come out about 99% to 1% saying they’ve concluded there is global warming. And so I was asking one of my former students who works in clinical science and ecology, environment and stuff. And I said, well, what do you think about it? I mean, is it a terrible thing? And she said, well, if there is global warming to a significant degree, it could, you know, it might do some melting of the ice caps, you might get a one-foot rise in the ocean, on the coasts, wherever. But it might make a lot more land further north and further south in the globe more productive in agriculture. And these benefits might outweigh any negative benefits. And I think wow, even something that we think is as solid and scientific as global warming and what we ought to think about it, how we evaluate it isn't that simple.

 

DDW: Yeah. So do you think in the global warming case the people that are making big noises about that have already made a decision and then they're just gathering evidence to support it?

 

GG: No. I think that’s much more objective than anything we do, but still trying to cinch the case—should we do anything about it? How much should we invest in doing anything about it or whatnot. Turns out, even in that instance, it isn’t that simple. There are pluses and minuses associated with global warming.

 

DDW: Hmm. Yeah. Well it sounds like the last time you said that because of graduate school and to some extent your undergrad you became more skeptical. That's something that struck me when I was around you in the lab at CU. Anything anybody would say, you'd say, okay well, let's find what's wrong with that. And—

 

GG: Yeah.

 

DDW: That seems like kind of a good evaluative stance, but are you saying that it won't ever lead you to any truth? Because we can't really know with our methods these kinds of things about what's the right thing to do or the best thing to do?

 

GG: Yeah. Well, it's—it's my father all over. And I just listen to my brother and sister and they say yeah, it’s just like our dad. And they're talking, they're speaking in that respect. And—and I don't think—it is—it is a contentious pandering—Lorrie said something about me recently. Can't remember what it was, something about basically he disagrees with everything and—and I think that it's true. My first instinct when somebody presents an argument is to look for the other side of it. But I don't think it leads to truth. It leads to—it leads to doubt and agnosticism in most cases.

 

DDW: And why is that? Because truth's never found, just ways to destroy every claim?

 

GG: No just because—just because—just because the truth to know is so elusive and so conditional and so complex that—that something in me opposes people simplifying them.

 

Many years ago Ernie and I were working on a project where we were essentially doing like a meta-evaluation of a follow through project, Follow Through—the article, the published article about that with two other authors. And Harvard did a review and the title of the author was, I think the title was No Simple Answer. Follow Through was supposed to be a controlled experiment of fifteen different models for early childhood education or primary grade education. The government's idea was they brought a cracker jack experiment with really good measures like the Metropolitan Achievement Test or whatever. And that would really decide, and out of that came that everybody thought direct instruction was the answer to everything. And our article was No Simple Answer, it's not that simple at all.

 

DDW: Uh-huh. In that publication, I see that you're sending out every week now is essentially doing the same thing, right?

 

GG: Yeah, uh-huh. That's the Education Review project. Right? Right. Yeah, because you know I really, I really believe that what we have here resembles debate or courtroom cases, it's not scientific discovery, what we're engaged in here.

 

DDW: So in a way, you know, I got interested in this topic because I read in Stufflebeam and Shinkfield I think, right at the beginning of their text they had come out a couple years ago that you know, everybody evaluates, but we all do a pretty poor job of it. So that's why we have disciplined evaluation.  However, I haven't seen anybody do a careful analysis of how people in everyday life make good evaluations, good choices and then said, now let's use that as the model for our evaluation approach.

 

GG: Well, do you know about Nick Smith's project a few years ago?

 

DDW: Yeah, the metaphors?

 

GG: Yeah I understood he went and looked at home appraisers and different people like that.

 

DDW: Oh yeah.

 

GG: You know, to look at how they were evaluating.

 

DDW: And what did you think of that work?

 

GG: I never read it. I just knew he was doing it. You know that they're—if you were making a purchase decision or something on a refrigerator, having a checklist would be very helpful, you know.

 

DDW: Uh-huh. So I guess my question is, would it make sense to get serious about trying to understand how people are making good evaluations and then say, when I'm training new evaluators, say to them, “Let's see what you're already doing that is producing good results for you, and then let's expand off that instead of trotting out all these evaluation models or approaches and saying you should go do it this way or that.”

 

GG: Mmhmm. Well I—I think a contribution would be that you—that you analyze people’s evaluative decisions…you try to uncover where they're driven by these sort of sometimes irrational and unconscious motives. You reveal those to people and that becomes a real warning and an education to others about what they can learn about themselves.

 

DDW: Yeah. So educate others to basically meta-evaluate themselves or critique themselves in terms of their irrationalities?

 

GG: Yeah.

 

DDW: Huh. Well I guess, that's kind of what you were doing in my experience, when you were inviting everybody to make statements and then you'd rip them apart. You were educating us to do the same thing, right?

 

GG: Well, that's putting a nice face on it. Other than just getting rid of a little hostility, yeah.

 

DDW: Okay.

 

GG: I remember Arlen Gullickson in the lab once. Some of us were having this argument and of course, I was taking some atheistic position, and getting sort of obnoxious about it. And Arlen just said you can have your opinion, I'll have mine, I'm not going to be listening to yours anymore. Took a lot of guts to say that and that had a really big effect on me.

 

DDW: Really?

 

GG: Oh, yeah.

 

DDW: What did it do for you?

 

GG: Well, I shut up about it around him. At least, after that. I remember when Michael told me once, he says, “I got fired. Arlen fired me.” He was on a big project at the Evaluation Center at Western Michigan. And, you know, Michael was always taking on things and just being unconscionably late and never coming through with something until the end. I mean, he's so brilliant, anything you can get out of him is wonderful, and there are a lot of occasions where you see if you can get anything out of him when [3:00] he'd lead you to expect that he would and so on. So this one time it got so bad that Arlen just fired him and Michael just loved that. He told everybody—“I got fired!” 'cause it fit his whole world view, you know?

 

DDW: Oh, yeah?

 

GG: The summative evaluation, the up or down, you're in or you're out, or something. Where Bob Stake would never fire anybody and Michael just loved to see somebody get fired and often recommended somebody be fired, and so it was only right that he get fired himself.

 

DDW: Yeah. Interesting. That statement you just made about Bob Stake would never fire anyone—were you referring to him when you said you'd left Illinois because of somebody else?

 

GG: Yep. Yeah, I think he and several others; there were a lot of brilliant people there and I think I wanted to go someplace where there was only one person more brilliant than me.

 

DDW: So it sounds like you were saying that personality is a huge thing in terms of how we actually do our evaluations and how the field has been shaped by the personalities that have been dominant in it.

 

GG: Yeah...Yeah, I think so.

 

DDW: So I guess my view is, well then why not let everybody play that game. I'm basically saying well, what is your personality and what's, you know, like Michael and Arlen, let them be pleased when they find out somebody calls them on something.

 

GG: Mmhmm. Well the danger is that people aren't self-aware.

 

DDW: Oh.

 

GG: When you do things but you're not aware why, they don’t necessarily go to some bad end, but they might.

 

DDW: Yeah. Well, that's true. Seems like the big solution there is to have systems that allow people to counter each other.

 

GG: Yeah, and that's what we got. Yeah, right, exactly. Exactly. Or the other way is to improve self-awareness, but nobody's much into that.

 

DDW: Well, we’re coming back to your parents again, aren't we?

 

GG: Sure.

 

DDW: And they countered one another and you were the beneficiary, you said? But neither one of them could really change who they were.

 

GG: Right. Right.

 

DDW: Or maybe weren't even aware that they were doing what they were doing.

 

GG: There's a joke in psychoanalysis that everybody knows that everybody else has an unconscious, but everybody is certain they don't.

 

DDW: Yeah. They have nothing like that.

 

GG: No. Except when they go to sleep.

 

DDW: Yeah. Well...

 

GG: So do you remember your dreams?

 

DDW: Well, I worked on it when I took that class from you and we read The Dream Poet.

 

GG: Oh really, were you in that class?

 

DDW: Yeah. I started putting a piece of paper by my bed.

 

GG: Uh-huh.

 

DDW: I was able to do it a bit then, but I don't remember most of them now. I wake up and it's lingering but it's gone almost as soon as I sit up, you know?

 

GG: Isn't that the most amazing thing in the world?

 

DDW: It is.

 

GG: You're experiencing this, your fears. It may be frightening, it may be very pleasant experiences and stuff. And you wake up and it just disappears in a matter of seconds. It's

amazing.

 

DDW: So you think there's something to do with that in evaluation?

 

GG: No, not really. I mean that is the key to a lot of what drives you. What those dreams reveal, and you can train yourself to remember two or three a night, and they can really be wonderful. They can be amazing, wonderful things. But not many people are going to go that route.

 

DDW: Have you kept doing it?

 

GG: I'm fairly aware. They’re kind of repetitious anymore, so its not like I have discovered a lot about myself that I didn't discover some time ago.

 

So What?

DDW:  What are some implications of Glass’s insights about his approach to evaluation in his personal life and his approach in his professional work? First, he acknowledged throughout the interview and in his comments at AEA2014 that although he has attempted to making sense of data all through his career and has conducted and consulted meta-analyses on many issues of importance to him, in “soft” areas, which many evaluations must address, he trusts his feelings more than he trusts the data. Second, he believes that other people, if they are honest, will acknowledge that the unconscious plays a much stronger role than data analysis does in their evaluations too. Third, he notes that our perceptions of our own social status and relationship to people in power play a big role in how we participate in evaluation and how we work with others and which information our evaluations collect and interpret. An important implication of these findings is that we ought to be aware of our own perceptions, interpretations, emotions, and unconscious motives and how we’re using them to influence our evaluations in our personal lives as well as our professional uses of evaluation.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluating testing, maturation, and gain effects in a pretest-posttest quasi-experimental design

1965 Glass, G.V. (1965). Evaluating testing, maturation, and gain effects in a pretest-posttest quasi-experimental design. American Edu...